« Find your passion », « Follow your passion »; two trendy phrases that became a tradition in every billionaire’s speech when he tries to inspire people, and reveal the secret of his success…
Passion is something completely emotional, and who says emotion says heart, and following your heart isn’t the best option to choose if you want to make a wise decision. A decision made by heart usually leads to Chaos.
Did you know that the passion of Steve Jobs when he was in college was typography?
That means if he followed his passion, he could be a font designer.
Did you know that the passion of Steve Jobs when he drop out college was meditation and spiritual quest?
That means if he followed his passion, he could be an Ashram Guru in India.
Steve Jobs has a quote that I admire a lot, he says “…The only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle.”
I agree with the first part of the quote. But with a big regret and harmful pain I would say: Sorry Steve, you may be wrong concerning the second part of the quote.
If I authorize myself to edit this quote I would say “…The only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, stop looking. You will not find it; it will find you.”
Yes, you don’t find your passion, it’s the passion who finds you. For me this is the right and the healthy passion that leads to success. CHANGE MY MIND.
And these are the 4 steps of how to allow “healthy” passion to find you:
- Find a job matching ability and pleasure; that means, take a piece of paper, note your skills, search for jobs that fit your skills, then choose the one you think you will have fun while doing it. Ability and pleasure are measurable unlike passion which is emotional.
- Once you find the right job, start working, and then you must succeed in that job, you must distinguish yourself as one of the best individuals in your position.
- Stay there, just take your time, don’t rush yourself to change your job, you will not realize if it is your passion within a week or a month, just stay, and get more achievements.
- Suddenly the passion comes to you, and you will recognize it. Because, when a new day starts you feel pushed to go work and achieve a new success, when everyone goes home at night, you keep doing an extra work to achieve an extra success. And because you admire your job, and you achieve a success after another, you will do the great work that Steve talked about.
Steve Jobs also passed by the 4 steps to find his true passion, oh sorry **allow the passion to find him**:
- He started in a field of ability and pleasure; the man is a technician, a consultant, a visionary, a great speaker and a leader, the perfect skills to be the CEO of a tech company, and of course he enjoyed doing it comparing to studying in college.
- He achieved success with the work he does, he was selling PCBs to Atari and personal computers (Apple I) to people.
- He took his time before meeting his passion, between Apple I (the computer) and creating Apple (the company) there is one year.
- And finally, passion knocked his door, and told him that changing humans’ life with revolutionary products is what he loves to do, so he created Apple and you know what happened next.
I have no idea how to end this post, there is a lot of things I didn’t say, but I don’t like long posts though, so feel free to share your thoughts on comments, and I will add some parts on comments if I find it’s necessary.